OpenELEC

The HDMI cables and SD cards I ordered via Amazon, were waiting for me when I got home on Friday after work. So I spent some of Saturday morning trying to get OpenELEC up and running on my Raspberry Pi, with various levels of success.

Earlier in the week I cloned the OpenELEC github repository and compiled the source, before installing it onto the SD card I normally use in my Nikon P6000. I followed the instructions on this page of the OpenELEC wiki and it appeared to all go to plan. A couple of corrections needed to be made in the Installing OpenELEC to the SD Card section, as the build put certain files in a different place to that specified. Instead of copying the files from:

$ sudo cp build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/bcm2835-driver-*/boot/arm128_start.elf /media/System/start.elf
$ sudo cp build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/bcm2835-driver-*/boot/bootcode.bin /media/System/
$ sudo cp build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/bcm2835-driver-*/boot/loader.bin /media/System/

They were in the bcm2835-bootloader-* folder, not the bcm2835-driver-* folder, so I copied them with:

$ sudo cp build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/bcm2835-bootloader-*/arm128_start.elf /media/System/start.elf
$ sudo cp build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/bcm2835-bootloader-*/bootcode.bin /media/System/
$ sudo cp build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/bcm2835-bootloader-*/loader.bin /media/System/

After a bit of faffing with my TV and AV equipment, I finally managed to get a picture displaying on the TV, but as you can see from the image at the top of this post, all I got was an error message. Rather than break out the laptop to edit the cmdline.txt file and spend a while trying to get the partition name correct, I just downloaded one of the nightly builds and ran the create_sdcard utility. This produced a working SD card and I was able to boot straight into XBMC, all in all a much easier and less time consuming option.

A Slice of Raspberry Pi

I meant to get up early the day the Raspberry Pi was put on sale, but I totally forgot. By the time I remembered, both the Farnell and RS websites had long melted down. I eventually managed to get on the waiting lists at both companies and finally, after what has seemed like an ages, my first Raspberry Pi arrived on Saturday.

I should have been prepared, I had meant to buy a HDMI cable and a SD card, but it was the Cambridge Beer Festival last week, so beer was more of a priority. I did take it into work with me today though and got it all wired up to ensure it was all working. It was really cool to see the large raspberry appear on the screen.

Now I just need to wait till later in the week when some HDMI cables and SD cards arrive via Amazon. In the meantime, I need to build OpenELEC, as this Pi is going to be running XBMC and serving up all the familys media in the living room. It’ll be another month or so until my second unit comes and this gives me some time to think of things to do with it. I might put it into a rocket, or I may look to use it in automating my homebrewery, we’ll see.

I’m looking forward to playing with it and I think I’ll have to get another couple of SD cards so that the kids can have one each and learn how to prgram, if they want to. Either way, I’m looking forward to my slice of Pi.