OpenELEC

The HDMI cables and SD cards I ordered via Amazon, were waiting for me when I got home on Friday after work. So I spent some of Saturday morning trying to get OpenELEC up and running on my Raspberry Pi, with various levels of success.

Earlier in the week I cloned the OpenELEC github repository and compiled the source, before installing it onto the SD card I normally use in my Nikon P6000. I followed the instructions on this page of the OpenELEC wiki and it appeared to all go to plan. A couple of corrections needed to be made in the Installing OpenELEC to the SD Card section, as the build put certain files in a different place to that specified. Instead of copying the files from:

$ sudo cp build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/bcm2835-driver-*/boot/arm128_start.elf /media/System/start.elf
$ sudo cp build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/bcm2835-driver-*/boot/bootcode.bin /media/System/
$ sudo cp build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/bcm2835-driver-*/boot/loader.bin /media/System/

They were in the bcm2835-bootloader-* folder, not the bcm2835-driver-* folder, so I copied them with:

$ sudo cp build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/bcm2835-bootloader-*/arm128_start.elf /media/System/start.elf
$ sudo cp build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/bcm2835-bootloader-*/bootcode.bin /media/System/
$ sudo cp build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/bcm2835-bootloader-*/loader.bin /media/System/

After a bit of faffing with my TV and AV equipment, I finally managed to get a picture displaying on the TV, but as you can see from the image at the top of this post, all I got was an error message. Rather than break out the laptop to edit the cmdline.txt file and spend a while trying to get the partition name correct, I just downloaded one of the nightly builds and ran the create_sdcard utility. This produced a working SD card and I was able to boot straight into XBMC, all in all a much easier and less time consuming option.